Work life

3:45 PM Priyanka 2 Comments

My alarm goes off at 6 am every weekday.

I wake up, surf the net, shower, get ready, have a light breakfast and leave my room by 6.50 am (yes I've learnt to do all of that in 50 minutes.)

Then its a 15 minute walk to the bus stop.

From there I catch a 179 that takes me to the nearest subway station. An hours worth of train ride and 20 minutes of walking later, I find myself tapping my id card over the sensor that regulates entry into my work place.


15 minutes later, I'm seated at my desk, with a hot steaming cup of coffee and the day planner open in front of me.


I fill in my day's schedule, note my progress, take a deep breath and start.


This life is new to me. Having been a student for as long as I remember, its quite hard to place myself here, working for somebody else, working and being paid for that. I'm working as a research assistant at Panasonic Singapore Laboratories. It almost adds a whole new value to my existence. Somebody is actually paying to seek my skills! Its like I'm finally serving a purpose! Maybe its still not all that significant and there'll always be people better than me, and yet, it feels wonderful. To be given a responsibility by others who think you're capable of carrying it out. So far I've just been  accountable for myself, my grades, my life, and now I'm supposed to report to this strange new world.


I often take a few moments off my work just to look around hoping to catch a glimpse of a possible future. But all I see are these bunch of machines, eyes glued to the computer screens, hands on the keyboard working of their own accord, and the rising number of empty coffee cups.


I love my work. I get to learn new things. I get to participate in events that I know have the power to reach out to millions. And yet, I feel completely cut off. Maybe I'm afraid if I do let myself get attached, it's going to suck the life out of me.


I don't want to be a part of this mad race. I want to learn, I want to grow and never lose touch with life. I should still be able to stop and appreciate the flowers and trees on my way for the rest of my life, like I do now. I should still be able to steal a few good moments off my day and spend it with the people I love.


I like this new life, but I am going to live it my way :)

You Might Also Like

2 precious thoughts..:

Iamamad1 said...

Hi. I am a 40 something woman and I belong to an organization called the Insurance Women of Buffalo. We are interested in using the silhouette that you have at the top of this post on our webpage, but I cannot find its source on the web anywhere to see if it is copyright protected. Do you know its source? My name is Melissa and my e-mail is mday@watsonbennett.com. Thanks!

Priyanka said...

Its possible you couldn't find the source since I usually download the images to my system before using them. From what I believe though, I lifted the image from http://chemicallyinjured.com/the-workplace.

I hope this helps! :)